Go back to the main VW page.
1978 Volkswagen Sunroof Transporter Champagne Edition
This bus had one owner before me, a tribal elder at Ohkay Owingeh
(formerly San Juan Pueblo) in New Mexico. It is a southwestern US bus.
The photographs (scroll down) below speak for themselves.
A complete set of 133 photographs, and of higher resolution are available in
this 50 MB zip archive.
General notes on condition
- VIN: 2282104188.
- This is a completely original Champagne Edition 1978 Transporter, with a sunroof.
- Odometer reads about 93831 miles.
- Everything on this bus is original, including the paint.
- The only rust is surface rust. There is no structural rust.
- There is no body work, and no body filler. What you see is exactly what you get.
Not Good Stuff:
- The left side sustained some damage (dented metal and a broken window)
when an adobe wall fell on it at Cochiti Pueblo (only in New Mexico!)
- The engine is missing.
All original does not mean everything is there. It means what is there is original.
- engine (but the 091 transaxle is there)
- half of the left middle slider window
- spare tire
- right exterior mirror
- front bumper
- one side reflector, both rear side lights
- inside sliding door handle
- C-rated tires (though the current ones at least hold air)
- clean out the brake system (crud in the brake fluid reservoir)
- left middle window needs its frame straightened and new glass
- re-attach vinyl throughout (though it is all there)
- front seats require full rebuild
- new windshield (I can provide a nice '78 windshield)
- new window rubber all around
- straighten dented metal
- replace battery tray
- adjust slider and front door mechanisms and service locks
- straighten rear bumper
- service sunroof
last updated 29 December 2011