John Tauxe's Mandolin Page
This is my web page for mandolin stuff. I hope you enjoy it!
Here is a useful one-page Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf) collection of several
mandolin chords (rev 1.32, UPDATED 9 NOV 08).
I have also exported each of these chords into its own little vector
graphic image in Portable Network Graphics (.png), and have assembled them
into this zipped archive:
mando_chords_png.zip (a 700 kB zip file, UPDATED 9 NOV 08).
For those using Windows, you might like the Windows Metafile (.wmf) format:
mando_chords_wmf.zip (a 1.6 MB zip file, UPDATED 9 NOV 08).
Now you can import the chords into a word processor for making music cheat sheets,
with just the words and chords (as done below). I recommend
Here's an example: Eyes_of_the_World.odt
Here are some mandolin chord arrangements that I have devised for some
of my favorite songs. Check back later, as I add more. These are in PDF:
- Acadian Driftwood, by Robbie Robertson. REVISED 23 FEB 13
- Eyes of the World, by Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia. REPAIRED 15 JUL 07
- Sugar Magnolia, by Bob Wier and Robert Hunter. REVISED 23 FEB 13
This arrangement of Sugar Magnolia is not only fun to play, with a fun rhythymic chop,
but it's also a good exercise in chord theory. One can get comfortable with the relationships
between the chords in a lower voicing, then the same chords in a higher voicing. Parallels emerge!
- Song for a Deckhand's Daughter, by James McMurtry. REVISED 23 FEB 13
- Jack Straw, by Robert Hunter and Bob Wier. REVISED 23 FEB 13
This is one of my favorite Dead songs, and the first one done here with
the PNG format chord images.
- Unbroken Chain, by Robert Peterson and Phil Lesh. UPDATED 10 DEC 07
A real challenge to suitably match Lesh's eclectic chord progressions, but I think it worked out well.
You're on your own as far as the time signatures, and must listen carefully for things like
a bar of 3/4 or even 3/8 time thrown in with the 4/4.
- Tennessee Stud, by Jimmy Driftwood. REVISED 23 FEB 13
- A Pirate Looks at Forty, by Jimmy Buffett. 15 DEC 07
- Box of Rain, by Phil Lesh and Robert Hunter. 19 DEC 07
- And one of my all-time favorites, finally: Crazy Fingers, by Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia. REVISED 23 FEB 13
- Maybe, by Alison Krauss, as in "Maybe you can play in E-flat minor." 4 NOV 08
- What a Wonderful World, by Bob Thiele (as “George Douglas”) and George David Weiss, if the original F and in D. REVISED 7 APR 13
- Hallelujah, by Leonard Cohen. REVISED 23 FEB 13
- Over the Rainbow, lyrics by E.Y. Harburg, music by Harold Allen. This one was really hard to arrange, and is definitely a challenge to play. REVISED 23 FEB 13
- Garota de Ipanema (Girl from Ipanema), music by Antonio Carlos "Tom" Jobim, lyrics by Vinícius de Moraes. 28 Jan 13
- Southern Cross, by Stephen Stills, Richard Curtis, and Michael Curtis. 23 FEB 13
- So Far from the Clyde, by Mark Knopfler. REVISED 6 Sep 2015 when I realized that this piece is in B-flat minor, not A minor as all the guitar chord web sites would have you believe. They are just being lazy. This is no more difficult a key.
- You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive, by Darrell Scott. REVISED 7 APR 13
- Take Five, by Paul Desmond. REVISED 7 SEP 15
- Melissa, by Gregg Allman. ADDED 6 SEP 15
- Melissa for octave mandolin, by Gregg Allman. ADDED 6 SEP 15
- Imagine, by John Lennon. ADDED 5 OCT 15
This page updated 5 Oct 2015